| Home |
on a hillock, overlooking the Valle Bronda, as it was convenient for important
noble dwellings of that period, the house of the bishop, where you can find
the B&B, has origins as far back as the Longobard King Astolfo, who began
the building of the Pagno's monastery in the 750 a.d.
A memorial tablet in the nearby Abbey, mentions that a Longobard Queen and her daughter Beatrice lived here.
The spirituality of the site and the numerous monks that where hosted (about 300 as estimated by historical documents) are a clear indication of the icreasing importance though the centuries of the site from a religious and cultural standpoint.
The Saracene horde that invaded the area around the year 1000 destroyed the monastery, which was lately rebuilt by initiative of the marquese Adelaide of Susa and Torino.
During the glorious years of the marquisate of Saluzzo, the priory of Pagno, contributed to the drafting of the most important pages of the local history until the 1764, when the Papal bull declared the new annexation to the Saluzzo's diocese.
The bishops of Saluzzo utilized the house until the 50's of the last century as a vacation summer home, a place where to rest among the beauty and peace of nature and the magic of the site.
A park rich of rare botanical species like rhododendrons and peony, coming from Tibet , China, Siberia and Turkey, separates the priory from the abbey church of S. Pietro e Colombano of the XI° century which preserves within the famous Longobard crypt and frescos of the XI° and XIV° century, by the Flemish painter Hans Klemer. The recent archaeological digs by the Soprintendenza per l'Archeologia del Piemonte inside the park, revealed new and unexpected witnesses of the noble past.